국가유산사랑

제목
창덕궁 내부에서의 교통수단과 물류체계 TRANSPORTATION AND LOGISTICS INSIDE THE CHANGDEOKGUNG
작성일
2007-09-07
작성자
국가유산청
조회수

hspace=5 src=4년째 서울에 살고 있는 독일인으로서, 시간이 감에 따라 서울이라는 도시와 유적들에 대해 서서히 친숙해지고 있다. 지난 5월 나는 서울문화재단이 주관하는 서울시의 “2007 서울을 걷는다”라는 프로그램에 참여하였다. 답사는 내·외국인을 대상으로 건축가 조인숙趙仁淑씨의 설명에 따라 진행되었다. 간간이 서서 설명을 들으며 세 시간 정도 걸으면서, 사실 궁궐의 규모가 얼마나 큰지 실감이 잘 안 될 정도였다.

내게 흥미로웠던 것은 옛날에는 사람들이 어떻게 살았을까 하는 것을 보는 것이었다. 오래 전의 일상에 필요했던 규칙이나 법도들은 오늘날의 일상생활에서 볼 수 있는 많은 것들에 대해 내게 설명해준다.

나는 물리학 전공자로서 교통 관련 분야에 오래 종사했으며, 자기부상열차磁氣浮上列車 등과 같은 하이테크 교통기술 전문가로 자리를 굳혔다. 지금은 한국 철도 산업에 고문으로 종사하며 KTX, MAGLEV 등 초고속 기차 및 기관차나 지하철 등을 세계화하는 데 일조하고 있다.

이런 개인적인 배경 때문에 창덕궁을 걷는 동안 여러 가지 의문이 들었다. 궁궐의 규모는 어느 정도일까? 궁궐 내에 몇 사람이나 살았을까? 궁궐 내에서는 어떻게 다녔을까? 말을 타고 다녔을까? 뿐만 아니라 급수給水체계는 어떠했으며, 일상에 필요한 물자는 어떻게 조달했을까? 하는 것들이었다.

당장에 얻은 답은 만족스럽지 못했다. 하지만 조인숙씨의 조언에 따라 조선시대 궁궐 의례 및 창덕궁에 관한 책자(참고자료 [1])와 리플렛들(참고자료 [2], [3], [4])을 구해서 읽은 결과, 내가 가지고 있던 의문에 대한 답의 일부는 얻을 수 있었다.

참고자료 [2]에 따르면 오늘날의 창덕궁 전체 면적은 446,220㎡로서, 불행히도 50%의 건물이 소실된 상태이다.

참고자료 [4]의 지도는 창덕궁 내부의 여러 이동 거리와 경사도에 대한 설명이 있다. 이는 나이 든 관람객이나 걷는데 장애가 있는 관람객들이 관람 코스를 정하는 데 상당히 큰 도움이 된다. 게다가 혼자서 관람할 수 있는 코스가 A(4.2㎞), B(3.5㎞) 두 가지나 있다. 리플렛에 설명된 대로라면 창덕궁은 1㎞ x 0.5㎞ = 500,000㎡의 장방형과 맞먹는 규모다.

보통 사람은 한 시간이면 약 4㎞ 정도 걷는다는 것은 상식이다. 여기에서 나는 궁중 사람들이 그 먼 거리를 어떻게 이동했을지 궁금해지기 시작했다. 걸었을까? 말을 탔을까? 아니면 가마로 움직였을까?

hspace=5 src=뿐만 아니라 궁궐 내 인구 구성은 어떠했으며, 옛날에는 몇 사람이나 궁궐에서 살았을까? 참고자료 [1]의 저자는 다음과 같이 서술했다. “조선조 궁궐 안에는 왕실 사람들 외에 많은 사람들이 살며 일했다. 내명부의 권속들이 약 500여 명이며, 2,000여 명이 넘는 군사들이 궁궐을 지켰다.” 저자는 또한 궁궐 내 관리들 및 수백 명의 기술 인력과 노비에 대해서도 언급하고 있다.
그의 책에서는 궁중 인구와 관련해 다음처럼 맺고 있다. “궁에는 적어도 3,000명 이상이 살았다.”라고….
나는 다시 의문이 들었다. 3,000명이 500,000㎡에서 산다? 이는 인구 밀도가 ㎢당 6,000명이라는 뜻이다. 참고로 2005년 통계에 의하면, 한국의 인구 밀도는 부산이 ㎢당 4,600명, 대전이 2,670명, 제주도가 288명이다. ㎢당 6,000명의 인원은 적정 규모가 아닌 것이 분명하다.

이 책의 저자가 이 숫자에 대해 얼마나 고심했을지 상상이 간다. 예를 들면, 궁은 임금과 신하들이 정사를 돌보는 곳과 왕과 왕비의 생활공간으로 나뉘는 데다 궁궐 밖에도 많은 병사들이 있었다. 그러므로 실상 점유 면적은 훨씬 넓고, 단위면적당 상주 인구는 훨씬 적게 보아야 한다.

참고자료 [1]의 저자는 ‘옛날에 궁궐에는 누가 살았는가?’에 대해 서술한 바 있다. 왕실 가족(왕, 왕비, 세자, 후궁들과 그들의 소생들), 상궁 및 나인들, 140명의 내시들(맞는 숫자는 아닌 것 같다), 2 ~ 300명에 이르는 교대 노비들, 정승 판서들, 수문장들, 내의원의 의사와 의녀들, 도자기와 궁궐 부엌을 관장하는 사람들이 이에 해당되었다. 은銀 그릇 및 은수저 등을 관장하는 사람들 중 여섯 명은 왕의 수라상에, 네 사람은 왕비의 수라상에 사용되는 은제품을 관장했다. 그리고 각종 요리와 마실 것을 마련하는 상당 수의 전문 요리사들 및 음식에 독이 들었나를 검사하는 사람도 있었다. 하지만 이같은 결과에도 불구하고, 나는 궁궐에 동시에 몇 명이 거주했는지에 대한 좀 더 확실한 숫자를 찾아보라고 권하고 싶었다.
이제, 교통수단에 대해 살펴보자. 내가 갖고 있던 참고자료에 따르면, 궁에 도착하는 외교사절이나 칙사들, 과거시험 참가자들에 대해서도 언급하고 있다. 이 중 왕의 출타에 대한 것도 있는데, 전장戰場에 나간다거나 온천에 갈 때가 그 예이다.
  hspace=0 src=

그렇다면, 어떻게 궁궐 사람들은 궁 안에서 움직였을까? 아마도 대부분은 그다지 자주 움직이지 않았던 것 같다. 궁 안에 사는 이들은 무척 정적靜的인 생활을 했던 것으로 짐작된다.

왕은 정사政事를 돌봄에 있어 대부분의 시간을 앉아서 보냈다. 왕은 수라水喇도 스스로 수저를 놀릴 필요가 없었고 음식은 시종들에 의해 떠 먹여졌다. 왕이 이동할 때에는 대개 가마(의자가마)를 탔고 거의 걸을 기회가 없었다.

물류운반에 대해서도 살펴보자. 제례에 필요한 주요 물자들을 사람들처럼 가마로 운반했다고 치면, 일반적인 물건들은 어떻게 반입했을까? 예를 들어 온돌방을 덥힐 땔감이라던가, 그 많은 건물에 들어가는 물水은 어떻게 공급했을까?
급수給水는 어느 정도 설명이 된다. 샘과 우물들이 있었는데, 대보단大報壇과 선원전璿源殿 사이에 용천龍泉이라고 하는 샘이 있었다. 바위를 타고 샘솟는 용천의 물은 차고 맑았다. 후원 깊숙한 곳에 자리해 왕이 마셨던 옥류천玉流川도 있다. 후원에는 빙천氷泉이 있는데, 여기서 나는 물은 한여름에도 맑고, 얼음처럼 차가웠다. 또한 청심정淸心亭 앞의 네모난 돌확 빙옥지氷玉池에선 돌 거북의 입을 통해 물이 나온다.

hspace=5 src=결국 나는 궁궐 내부의 교통수단에 대해 아직까지 많은 부분 이해하지 못했다. 아마도 그것은 교통 모드에 대한 나의 “정적 이론(靜的 理論, 여기서 정적 이론이란 내부적으로는 많은 동선이 유발되지 않고 모든 것이 잘 구성되어 있다는 의미로 사용)”이 수정되어야 한다는 것일 게다. 따라서 내부 동선 흐름의 수단에 대해 좀 더 많은 연구가 있어야 한다. 실제로 궁궐 안의 생활에 대해서는 광범위한 문헌들이 있고 이와 관련된 서화들이 박물관에 수장되어 전시되고 있다. 그 그림들을 보면 궁궐 내부에서 교통수단으로 쓰였음직한 말馬들도 보여지고 있다.

As a German, living in Seoul for about 4 years, slowly I am becoming more and more familiar with the city and its places of interest. In May this year, I joined one of the walking tours designed for both Koreans and foreigners, organized by the City of Seoul and guided by Ms. Cho  In-Souk, who is an expert in historic buildings. Those regular walks take usually around 3 hours; when you walk such a long time and stop here and there in order to listen to the explanations of Ms. Cho, actually you don’t realize, how big such a palace ground is.

It is interesting for me to see, under what conditions people lived long time ago; the rules and regulations valid for the daily life at ancient times, explain to me a lot of phenomena which I can observe in nowadays’ daily life.

I am a physicist by education. I spent my working life in the transportation business, became expert on high-tech transportation technology, like magnetically suspended trains (MAGLEV); today I am working for the Korean Railway industries, providing consultancy on High-Speed trains like KTX, MAGLEV, locomotives or Metros and  delivered to the whole world.

Most probably because of this background, when walking through the Changdeokgung, I started to ask, what are the dimensions of the palace, how many people lived in this palace, how did they move around inside, they used horses? I also asked about the water supply or the supply system of materials needed for the daily life.

The answers I got, had not been that satisfactory; but then Ms. Cho advised me to read a book on the ceremonial and daily life in Royal Courts [1]. In that book, from two catalogues [2], [3] and from a leaflet [4], I found at least some of the answers on my questions.

According to [2] the Changdeokgung palace grounds nowadays is 446,220 square meters. Unfortunately, 50% of the buildings had been lost meanwhile.

The map shown in [4] informs on the distances & gradients along various sections inside the palace grounds; such kind of information is an excellent help for elderly or handicapped people, when they have to decide on their route. You also find two tips for self-guided tours: Course A (4.2㎞), Course B (3.5㎞). From the distances given the leaflet, one can approximate the dimensions of the Changdeokgung by a rectangular ground of 1㎞ x 0.5㎞ = 500,000 square meter.

It is common knowledge that a pedestrian, who is walking (not running), can cover 4㎞ within 1 hour (speed 4㎞/h). So I started to wonder how the palace population was moving along such distances. By walking, using horses, sedan chairs…?

And who was member of the population, how many people lived on the ground in former times? The author of [1] writes in his book: “Many people lived and worked in the Joseon palace complexes besides the royal family. The royal harem and ladies-in-waiting numbered around 500, more than 2,000 soldiers were permanently assigned to guard and protect the palaces.” The author then mentions officials from the Royal Secretariat and Office of Special Advisors and hundreds of skilled workers and slaves.
The respective paragraph of his book ends with an amazing statement: “The total palace population exceeded 3,000 at least.”
Now I started to wonder again: 3,000 persons on 500,000 square meters?!?  This means a population density of 6,000 persons/㎢ !  As a reference, the population densities (in 2005) in Korea: Pusan 4,600 persons/㎢,  Daejon 2,670 persons/㎢, Jeju-do 288 persons/㎢. A number of 6,000 persons/㎢  is obviously not a reasonable one.

I can really imagine, how the author of that book might argue in order to defend that number: e.g,. there had been internal and external palace grounds, or many of the soldiers were standing outside the palace ground; hence, the reference surface might have been much bigger, thus the population density much smaller.

The author of [1] describes who lived in the palace in ancient times: The royal family itself(King, Queen, Crown Prince, Concubines, their children); lady-attendants, 140 Eunuchs(sounds not a reasonable figure), 200~300 slaves per shift, Royal Secretaries, officials who counseled on state affairs, guards; male and female royal physicians(as part of the Neuiwon, the hospital and pharmacy of Changdeokgung). There had been staffs working in the Overseeing Ceramic Production & Palace Kitchen Management; Within the Silver Utensil Supervisory office, 6 persons had been employed to take care of the king’s and 4 to take care of the queen’s eating utensils. There had been a number of chefs each of those specialized on different dishes and beverages, a taster had to check for poison. I recommend one should find a more realistic numbers of people inside a palace at the same time.
Regarding transportation: The literature available tells us about the many visitors arriving in the palace, like ambassadors, envoys, persons to take tests for national civil service examinations. We can also read about trips of the kings outside, e.g. for joining battles or in order to visit Spas.

But, how did the palace population move inside the palace grounds? Most probably they did not move around very often; the life of the insiders must have been just a static life.

The king most of the time was seated in order to received subjects or handled official documents. When he enjoyed meals, the food was put in his mouth. He was carried everywhere he went in a sedan chair and rarely had the opportunity to walk.

Regarding material transports: all ritual objects had to be transported in such sedans like royalty but what about ordinary materials, e.g. the wood required to run the ondol heating system or what about water supply to those many buildings? Most probably the materials were transported from outside to the final destination and there was no need for further transportation inside the palace grounds.
The water supply can be explained to a certain extent: there are fountains and wells on the grounds. There is Yongcheon Spring, which is between Daebodan(Altar Site) and Seonwonjeon-Hall, it supplies cold, clear mineral water to flow from rocks. There is the Ongnyuch’on Stream situated in the innermost part of the garden, the well from which kings used to drink. There is the Bingcheon fountain located in the center of the Huwon; it supplies clear, ice-cold water even in hot summers and Bing-Okji Fountain, in front of Ch’ongshimjong pavilion; water flows through the mouth of a stone tortoise.

At the end, I have to admit that up to now I did not understand the internal transportation system of a palace, it might be that my “static theory” about the transportation modes must be corrected; more studies should be carried out on internal transport and logistics. I know that there is comprehensive literature available on the life in a palace, and for all, there are many paintings stored in Korean museums. On some of those, you can see horses, which might be used for internal transportation.

* Literature cited (참고문헌 [1], [2], [3], [4]) *
[1] Shin Myun-ho: Joeson Royal Court Culture, Ceremonial and Daily Life; Dolbegae Publishers (First published 2 March 2002), English Edition 5 July 2004)
[2] CHANGDEOKGUNG PALACE; Catalogue available at Changdeokgung, WOO JIN Publishing Company
[3] CHANGDEOKGUNG (PALACE); Catalogue available at Changdeokgung, Sung Min Publishing House
[4] CHANGDEOKGUNG (PALACE); Leaflet available at Changdeokgung

▶ 글 : Dr.Peter-Juergen Gaede (주)로템고문
▶ 사진 /번역: 조인숙 (다리건축대표)

만족도조사
유용한 정보가 되셨나요?
만족도조사선택 확인
메뉴담당자 : 대변인실
페이지상단 바로가기